When it comes to writing, everyone has their own style and method. The combinations are limitless and it’s impossible to list them all. So instead, we’ve come up with 7 types of writers! There’s also a helpful infographic using your fave Harry Potter characters to represent each style of writing. So, which types of writers are you and your friends?
- The Pantser –The typical pantser starts writing without a plan, an outline, or character profiles. They got nothin’. A pantser sit down to a blank paper and just starts writing. They’re so named because they like to fly by the seat of their pants.
Harry Potter character: Ronald Bilius Weasley
- The Planner – A planner usually has a pretty good idea of what they’re writing about. Their plot is set out, their character profiles filled, and chapter names selected before they even put pen to paper. They know what they’re characters are doing, and how they’re doing it.
Harry Potter character: Hermione Jean Granger
- The Plantser – This writing style is a combo of pantser and planner. They only kind of know what they’re doing half the time. Maybe they’ve jotted down a dot point or two and perhaps even filled out a character profile for their main character. Aside from that though they’re just jumping in and hoping for the best.
Harry Potter character: Harry James Potter
- The Actor – otherwise known as the scenarist. They usually act out their stories while they’re alone, often while facing a mirror or other shiny surface. They will take on the roles of every character in their story and truly delve into the role and characters mindset.
Harry Potter characters: Prof. Severus Snape OR Peter Pettigrew (Wormtail)
- The World Builder –This type of writer has spent hours preparing pages upon pages of history and backstory for their worlds. This writer type can delve into even the tiniest of details about their political system, societal values, characters history and ancestry, and anything else their mind may have conjured.
Harry Potter character: Prof. Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
- The Dreamer – The dreamer is often inspired by strangely vivid dreams. They’ll wake up at 3 am in the morning just to write down the strange and mystical images their unconscious mind provided them with during their slumber.
Harry Potter characters: Luna Elizabeth Lovegood OR Prof. Sybill Patricia Trelawny
- The Fanfictionist – This writer likes to reimagine existing worlds. From books, movies, television series, history, and mythology, they take a concept and make it their own. Sometimes though, this writer just didn’t like the way that book ended so they re-wrote it themselves.
Harry Potter characters: Prof. Gilderoy Lockhart OR Tom Marvolo Riddle (Voldemort)
Now we’ve checked out different types of writers and you’ve found the perfect description for you, it’s time to jump back into your writing. After all, it is NaNoWriMo!